Allan Nicholson
“Our Choir’s The Pitt’s”
Blog 5
A number of years ago, I was asked to participate in a
“Dessert Theatre” offered at St. John’s United Church. I was still a resident
of Manitoba. There was some difficulty recruiting male participants from the
parish, but it was not due to their lack of interest. According to my friend Margje, some of the
congregation declined to participate as they were not in favor of the person
chosen to direct this play. I was hesitant when I was initially approached,
however; it was not related at all to any one individual. I felt as if I would
be giving up “too much of myself” for that particular time of the year. The
production took place in the latter part of the spring.
I have never been a person to give up too easily. I have been
told that “perseverance is an excellent quality to possess.” I accepted the
offer to play the role of Seymour Songster which I thoroughly enjoyed.
According to Mark Bracher, “Having a sense of oneself as a force that matters
in the world involves… belonging, and meaning.” (Page 6) This function was also
a fund-raising attempt to purchase new hymn books for the church. I have always
been dedicated to any commitments or events which I undertake. There was a
sense of fulfillment with my decision during the initial reading of the play. I
felt welcomed and appreciated at the church. I could sense some fun “down the
road” as we would prepare this script to attain our goal of a successful event.
I know I wanted to be with this group of individuals at this particular time.
I happened to develop a sore throat during that particular
week of our two performances. I was also
required to sing in this play which was already “rather difficult” without any
illness to hinder my effort. It was apparent that I would have “no voice” or
very little ability to speak if I worked on the Friday of the first
performance. I approached my principal with my dilemma. He replied jokingly “I
guess you can be excused since the Superintendent is also a part of your cast.”
In his book, Radical Pedagogy (Identity, Generativity and
Social Transformation), Bracher mentions “Recognition as a Basic Human Need.”
He says: “ The must fundamental identity is the need for recognition, the need
to have one’s being appreciated and validated or at least acknowledged, taken
into account by others: ….”(Page 7) Upon completion of this event, my principal
(deceased) wrote “ I would like to congratulate you on a great performance and
a grand show. Through your efforts the city becomes a better place to be.” He
recognized what I had done. I did not expect this note to be in my mailbox the
following week. My friend, Margje, read this note. She replied: “My principal
would never do anything like that.”
The musical director (deceased) had this to say, “Thanks for
the great Seymour! You did another terrific job and I enjoyed your
company. “ I appreciate your effort.” Once
again, this was another significant example of good healthy negotiating in a
community of practice.
The cast and crew were also invited to present this show in
Gillam, Manitoba. It is a small
community north of Thompson. It has a
population of approximately 1200 people.
An employee of Manitoba Hydro was present at one of our
performances. He contacted the director
as to us taking the show on the road. He
made all the arrangements and accomodations through Via Rail and Manitoba Hydro. We were able to assist the people in Gillam with
their efforts in fundraising for the Gillam Crisis Center. He assured us there would be no expenses
incurred by anyone from our group. They
appreciated the fact that we gave up our weekend to help them with this
community project.
Allan,
ReplyDeleteThere is certainly something to be said about feeling welcomed and appreciated for your time and efforts. I also enjoy working within small community organizations like my church where I am made to feel welcome and appreciated. For me these small communities of practice provide exactly what Bracher refers to in his book “belonging and meaning” http://www.amazon.ca/Radical-Pedagogy-Identity-Generativity-Transformation/dp/0230621112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332184211&sr=8-1 p6.
When I feel this sense of belonging and appreciation, I want to participate in events and activities that these organizations are hosting because the values and beliefs that they manifest are also part of my own identity. Community organizations such as churches and non- profits require fundraising and volunteering in order to operate. When they are working toward outcomes that we believe in, we want to participate to keep the services they provide to us and to others.
Noticeably, your time and efforts were worth it for your church, to be asked to take your show on the road!
Hi Allan
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy hearing relatable stories from other people's lives. You gave a lot of yourself in this role as Seymour, and your efforts were appreciated. To this day you feel the satisfaction of having your efforts acknowledged and appreciated by others. I recall putting forth efforts in life and feeling so very good when people recognize my hard work, it can sustain us, Equally in life, i think we have all experienced times in life when we have worked very hard and our efforts go unnoticed, it can suck a persons motivation. As Bracher states, we all desire to be desired, and in turn have our work appreciated, This is a simple concept that can carry a great deal of weight in any classroom or life situation....thanks for blog blog post Allan :)