Thursday, 15 March 2012

Allan Blog 3


Allan Nicholson

“The Significance of Learning” – Crash

GSLL 6206 Sec 60

Blog Post #3



                I recently purchased a new bed and a flat screen television. My existing 27” color television was 14 years old, but it worked perfectly.  I knew there had to be someone in need of these used items.  I contacted the secretary of my parish.  I kindly asked her to include the availability of these articles in the church bulletin.  I have always considered myself a person who is willing to help others, however; I did inform Jean, the secretary, that I did not own a truck.  There would be no delivery service available. Unfortunately, I did not have any replies to this notice.


I arranged to have my mattress picked up on an early Saturday morning. I willingly offered to go with the neighborhood driver.  A price for the services provided was previously discussed with the driver.  In my mind, I was already quite aware of someone who could really use the existing box spring and mattress.  In my heart, I also knew we would probably end up making the delivery.  I thought about this for over a week.  How could I approach this person? What would she think of me? Would she think I was a better person than her? Will she ever speak to me again? These were some of the questions that I contemplated in my mind.


I will refer to this person as “Debbie”, she is a lady is of black descent.  Debbie works very hard to provide for her family of three children.  Our friendship has developed through both our place of employment and our parish church. She faithfully walks with her three children every Sunday to church.


I approached another colleague as to my predicament. I was afraid Debbie would be insulted.  Marie is also a lady of black descent.  She was perplexed that I was actually hesitant as to whether I should telephone Debbie. I did not want to create any unforeseen resentment. Marie said, “this gift, could be and would be appreciated.”  She looked at me and smiled when I approached her with my concern. Marie said, “Why do you feel that Debbie would be insulted?” Marie knew that I legitimately cared, but I was apprehensive that Debbie might think otherwise. Marie made reference to my friendship with Debbie as she said, “you two get along.”  This is another allusion as to how my (our) perspective is shaped in how I (we) appear to others.


I recall one of Debbie’s conversations as to how another employee reprimanded her for the untidiness of the classroom.  Debbie had already completed what was expected of her in that particular area of the school, but it was not up to standard according to her Superior.  My initial thought was, would someone else have been addressed in that manner if he or she was not of Black or other cultural descent. After watching the movie “Crash, this incident was immediately brought back to my mind.   I thought of the Mexican maid in this movie and how she was made to feel inferior due to her race.  Her employer, Mrs. Cabot, was angry with her that she had not emptied the dishwasher and spoke to her in a demeaning manner. This housekeeper was more than a maid to this family; she was there when Mrs. Cabot needed her the most. She was a friend.
 

I was not so happy to be responsible for the delivery of the bed. I had already discussed the arrangements with Debbie. I told her we would arrive shortly after the new and old beds were switched at my house. I attempted to call her several times, but there was no reply. My frustration level was overwhelming and consuming me. I thought, “Why am I becoming so upset over a second hand mattress?”  The delivery man had other commitments to fulfill and I felt I was interfering with his schedule.  We still had a mattress on the back of his truck, although he was quite willing to take it to the Junk Depot. I could not allow this to happen.  The mattress was eventually delivered.


There was a sense of personal fulfillment experienced by both, Darrell and myself.  Darrell said, as we were leaving her driveway, “Allan, we did a good deed.” He now knew and understood why it was so important to me to have this bed delivered to this family.  Our schedule although temporarily interrupted, taught both of us a valuable lesson in this community context.  Debbie profusely thanked us for what we had done. She also telephoned me later that evening to express her sincere apology for the inconvenience of her absence that day when we initially arrived.  There were emotions and memories formed for all individuals involved in this Community of Practice.




No comments:

Post a Comment