Thursday, 15 March 2012

Allan Blog 1


Allan Nicholson

Lifelong Learning Process

GSLL 6206 Sec 60

Blog Post #1

                In my reading and preparation, I was intrigued with the term “intrinsic satisfaction.”  There are people who do not have any hobbies or extra-curricular activities to fulfill their life outside of their every day and sometimes rigid working environment.  The word intrinsic satisfaction, in my opinion is a gratification that is difficult to find in ones workplace.  This term is something that is fulfilled with a lot of soul searching and trying different activities to see which one is of best interest and fulfilling.  The motivation comes from within with a self fulfillment that can only be understood from within.  The rewards provide satisfaction and pleasure within that the task itself may not provide.  It could be their own personal choice, but how many of the people would like to be and have to be encouraged to pursue at least one social activity with no added stress or major commitment attached to it. 

                Many years ago, I attended an audition for a play where I was told “ you cannot act but you a can certainly help if you wish as a member of the stage crew.”  I felt I could act and I declined the offer to paint the sets for that particular production.  This statement in no way affected my desire to act and follow a passion I had for years.  Eventually, I was offered a small role which was self-gratifying.  It also lead to the offer to assume the duties of the producer of a major production just three years later.  I also learned through some mistakes as well from the advice of experienced players.  I welcomed any form of constructive criticism to help me better my passion of acting.  Teamwork is an integral element of performing.  All factors of the production are equally important.

                The role one assumes or has been offered involves several steps and commitment.  They interact and depend on the other to master and achieve success and personal gratification.  Once the actors or players receive their scripts, they are eventually required to learn their lines and know the play.  I have to feel the role whether it be a dedicated and diligent real estate agent or a clumsy waiter and I immense myself into that particular person.   The audience is also actively aware of anyone out of character.  In his book, Shop/Class as Soul Craft, Matthew B. Crawford says, “It is common to locate ones “true self” in one’s leisure choice.  Accordingly, good work is taken to be work that maximizes one’s means for pursuing these other activities, where life becomes meaningful (Pg. 181)

                In his book Crawford makes reference as well to children who “produced higher quality drawings.”  These children were not initially rewarded for their drawing ability; however, they excelled and continued to enjoy this craft in comparison to other children who were initially recognized for their artistic ability.  In high school, I was either comfortable or encouraged to participate in our annual school production.  Many years later, I was told and asked to attend the auditions of “Guys and Dolls”, a musical fable of Broadway.  I played two minor roles of a sailor and a waiter.  It has been twenty-four years since I performed on stage in Thompson Manitoba.  I am still immensely enjoying this hobby-pastime.  I am presently rehearsing for a dinner theatre production, “The Broom and the Groom” with the Mira Players.  I have been a member of this theatre group for five years. 

                The theatre and dram have always continued to sustain my interest.  For my own personal growth I have completed several Fine Arts courses in drama, playwriting and theatre production.  I have also attended several invigorating and motivating workshops that have kept me captivated to continue my passion of the arts.  I fell all avenues of education obtained through courses, volunteer work or the advice from our mentors and peers contribute and enhance our interest in whatever that chosen particular area of study might be.  I have not solely learned, due to the ability to read books.  My experiences and studies have contributed to my well-being as both an educator and a member of my community.  I enjoy going to a play more than watching a baseball game.  I have developed a shared social connection through my experience for amateur and community theatre.  Some of my personal qualities can be attributed to the development of a social cultural identity. 

                In 2006, I performed in the play “The Mousetrap” by Agatha Christie.  I played the role of Mr. Paravicinni.  I personally felt as if I was the person throughout the performance.  There were several people after the show that identified me to the role of Mr. Paracicinni as they saw me outside of the theatre environment.  I would be recognized at the shopping mall. I was told this was without a doubt my ‘tour de force’ character portrayal.  Another person said I breathed life and amusement into the character.  I suppose i was socially defined through this character portrayal.  There was also distinct collaborative bond between the cast and the production crew of this play.  This highly contributed to both the reviews from the audience and the self-fulfilling enjoyment experienced by everyone and not solely the players themselves. This stimulation leads me to much self-fulfillment and assists in my lifelong learning of the theatre and all it has to offer. 


1 comment:

  1. Alan I could not agree with you more, concerning your comments about leisure time. For me, my after-hours activities are pure enjoyment. There are so many tasks during the work day that are not enjoyable but necessary. I like to use my time off to pursue my own interests. I always like to have a side project, something in the community but often not connected to my paid employment. I come up with an idea, plan it out, create a time line, break it down into a work plan and watch it unfold. It is very gratifying and 95% of the time it is not earning me any money.
    I feel people who experience burn out were often doing things they didn’t want to do. In my case, I can spend endless hours working on projects that I have a passion for. I don’t get tired and I don’t resent the amount of time it requires. People often tell me I am going to burn out. I am not saying that can’t happen, but I feel it would have by now. I keep coming up with bigger challenge and like to bring myself to the point of almost feeling too overwhelmed. I feel they would be overwhelmed by what I do, I always remind them it is all my idea, and no one is forcing me. To sit and do nothing, that is stressful!
    Your comment about someone telling you couldn’t act. It is a good thing you did not take that to heart. I wonder how many people internalized those types of comments and gave up their dreams. In doing so, they have created their own self full filling prophecies.

    ReplyDelete