Friday, 16 March 2012


Allan Nicholson

GSLL 6206 Sec 60

Blog Post 4

     I am presently in my twenty-sixth year of the teaching profession.  I have been French

 teacher for twenty – five of these years.  I feel, as an educator, the majority of people are constantly progressing to expand their knowledge. This can be accomplished through various avenues whether it be on the job training, in-services, conferences, peer mentoring, university, vocational and community college courses or volunteer and community service work.  There are also many mature students returning to their studies.  Some of these people are upgrading their skills and re-educating themselves to pursue other occupations while others are simply enrolled in courses for enjoyment .They want to be occupied and meet new people.

     Last fall, I was approached by a faculty member from Cape Breton University to teach the senior’s French course.  She said one of her colleagues had suggested that she call me to see if I would be interested in delivering the course. I would be required to teach six two- hour sessions, however; there was no curriculum available for the program.  I was not worried about the preparation of materials for the course, but I pondered on both the experience and the approach that I would take with this group.  I thought “it is only six evenings and anyone can do something of this nature for such a short period of time.’’ I knew this would be a learning experience, but the fact that I was making another commitment made me upset with myself.  I have a tendency to say “yes’’ when I truthfully should say “no’’.

     There were eleven students enrolled in the course including three couples .Unfortunately, one of the couples had to withdraw from the program after the third session due to an ailing parent.  They were very apologetic when they telephoned. I could feel the emotion in Peter’s voice as if it was his fault.  He indicated that they would probably enroll in the course in the New Year should it be offered again.  He also said that both he and his wife enjoyed the classes and they appreciated the amount of work which was involved to present the lessons. He wished me “good luck’’ with the remainder of the program.  I knew that I had made the proper decision to accept this assignment in the course of the conversation with him.  He shared how he felt during the brief time he was a part of this community of practice.  There was a temporary relationship formed with him.  I found I was questioning myself too much when I was initially preparing materials and activities for this course.  I would ask the students “Are you satisfied with the lessons?’’ and “I hope that I am fulfilling your needs in this course.’’  One of the women said: “Allan you are doing great.  We are all back aren’t we.’’  She said, “It is an evening spent with friends, we have a few laughs and we all get along.’’  There were always two of the ladies who would remain after class to ask more questions particularly pertaining to grammar.  They were also enrolled in a French course at Cape Breton University.  They told me “they were getting something out the course and please teach the second half. ’’  There was usually an eruption of laughter with the two of them, but this was an association which was created with them.  One of the ladies thanked me for allowing her to write a cinquain poem about her deceased daughter. We had done this in class earlier that evening.   Each of the students was required to prepare the five line poem about themselves and present it to the class.  “Talking …includes talking within (e.g. exchanging information necessary to the progress of ongoing activities) and talking about (e.g. stories, community lore).  Inside the shared practice, both forms of talk fulfill specific functions: engaging, focusing, and shifting attention …’’ (Lave &Venger ) p.109.




















1 comment:

  1. Hi Allan,
    I think many people especially those involved in education are constantly trying to keep up with the changing times by seeking opportunities to expand our knowledge and improve our performance in our careers. I think it is much easier to take part in many of these learning experiences now that we are able to choose what type of education, courses and upgrading we would like to take part in.
    You stated in your blog that you have a tendency to say “yes” when you really should be saying “no”, something that I too am guilty of. I am trying to practice Donavon’s idea of adding a “yes” before and after the “no” to make it easier saying “no”. At this point I truly believe that I don’t have time to commit to anything new. When I do something I like to be able to give it my all and know that I did it well and to the best of my ability. However, there is always the pleasure of taking on a new commitment and even though you were unsure about it taking it on it turns out to be a success and others reaffirm its success. I suppose Mark Bracher would suggest it is part of our identity and the recognition that we seek from others!

    ReplyDelete